Thursday, September 19, 2013

Most Irritating Phrases ever

Whether you are at work or at home, with colleagues or friends, there
are some words or phrases that can drive the people around you to
complete insanity. Especially if you use them again, and again and
again!

The trouble with these words is that they are not something we have
carefully chosen to most eloquently make a point. No, they are just
filler words that we got into the habit of using. They often don’t
mean anything, they are just there to irritate.

In some people the use of these repetitive, nothing-saying,
filler-words has reached epidemic proportions. I believe we need to
cure this and stop using them. When I say stop using them I don’t mean
completely. I don’t mind if someone uses them appropriately. I use
most of them. What we have to stop is using them repeatedly and
without meaning!

But then, maybe it’s just me? Maybe I am the only one that gets
irritated by that? Or do you get annoyed and tired of hearing someone
talk like this:

“To be honest, at the end of the day you are literally going get into
trouble, seriously. I mean, you better be careful, if you know what I
mean. I am just saying.”

Or this:

“Awesome! This is, like, I mean, totally seriously, like, the most
epic band I have ever heard. You know what I’m saying. I am literally
going to, like, die if I can’t go and see them.”

Some might argue it is just teenagers. No. I believe that every decade
has their favorites. For me, the two examples show this nicely where
the first one would typically come from someone a little older and the
second from someone of a younger generation.

We seem to use these words to fill pauses in our conversations. My
recommendation is to actually pause, instead of bombarding people with
meaningless words that simply make it more difficult (and exhausting)
to understand what someone is saying. Pauses are fine! Pauses are
natural.

Here are my top ten most irritating filler phrases:

“At the end of the day” – What does that even mean? Does it mean
later? Just leave it out!
“To be honest” – Why, are you normally not honest with me? What a
crazy thing to say!
“If you know what I mean” – If I don’t know what you mean I would
probably tell you. I don’t need a prompt.
“You know” – Is this a question or a statement?
“Having said that” – Yes, you have just said that. I was here, you
have been speaking to me and I don’t need you to tell me that you have
just said something to me!
“Like” – This is especially annoying if it is inserted a number of
times into every single sentence. Why, oh, why?
“Literally” – Should mean ‘figuratively’ or exactly as you say. It
makes so sense to ‘literally explode’ or to ‘literally die’.
“I am just saying’” – Yes, I have heard it. Should this make me feel
better about the fact that you have just offended me or said something
that didn’t make sense?
“Seriously” – Are you saying that you are telling me the truth or are
you using it as a replacement for ‘yeah’ – I am, like, seriously
confused!
"I mean" – Some people litter this phrase into every single sentence
they say. It must be one of the most meaningless phrases of all.
So, is it just me? Or do these words drive you nuts too? 'Like’ this
post if they do! No seriously, like, totally 'like' this post! I am
just saying, if you know what I mean? Finally, feel free to add other
phrases you find particularly infuriating into the comment field –
let’s make it the most complete list, like, I mean, seriously, EVER!

In addition will add another irritating phrase i absolutely hate
" I swear down"- why do you have to swear down, it does not show you
are been truthful!

No comments:

Post a Comment